I don’t make New Years resolutions but sometimes I do like to look back on the previous year.
So, I decided to actually take a look at my stats in Google Analytics to find out what the 5 most visted articles were on my site in 2010. These are the top 5 articles by pageviews.
I was a little surprised by the results, except for the first one, and that all 5 articles are on the same topic.
All 5 of my top articles were about Facebook. There is a message to me in this – I just need to determine what the exact message is and my best course of action to take with this information. ;-)
And, because Facebook changes basic settings so frequently, a couple of these popular articles are outdated. I’ve said it so many times – if you are going to write about Facebook, it’s best to write in pencil.
Top 5 of 2010
- How to Add a Custom Tab to a Facebook Fan Page – I knew this was the most popular article by far. The content contained in this article is still valid because it’s about adding the Static FBML application to your page. The only thing that isn’t accurate is the Add as Box setting – Facebook no longer users Boxes for applications.
- How to Create a Custom Facebook Fan Page– Unfortunately, the 2nd most viewed article is no longer pertinent. It discusses using boxes to make a custom tab. Boxes were removed as Facebook applications a couple of months ago.
- Updated: How to Unhide a Facebook Application or Page – These instructions are mostly correct except Facebook has changed the names of Live Feed and News Feed to Top News and Most Recent. The article is accurate if Top News is used in place of Live Feed. This is an update to the previous instructions, which really shows how often Facebook changes things that really don’t need to be changed.
- FBML – How to Add a Share Button to Your Facebook Fan Page – Yay! An article that still has accurate instructions. This is also the only article written in 2010 that was one of the most popular in 2010. I think this is another issue I need to take into consideration for 2011.
- How to Link to Your Facebook Fan Page from Your Profile Page – Another popular, yet obsolete article. When Facebook removed the Box applications, like Custom Profile Box, we lost the ability to create a custom link. It is, however, possible to link to your fan page from the new profile page by making your page your current employer.
So I’ve got some thinking to do and some work ahead of me. My 5 most popular articles in 2010 were all about Facebook, 2 of them no longer contain accurate information due to Facebook changes, and only one of the five was written in 2010. I guess I need to stop gliding along on the glories of past achievements. ;-)
photo credit: chrisny2