By default, WordPress will display the selected gravatar in the image to the left, if the person leaving a comment doesn’t have a gravatar account. As you can see, I’ve selected the Identicon option – I think the look pretty ;-) I’m not really a fan of the Mystery Man though – I think it’s because I see it everywhere.
Here are 7 plugins that will allow for even more gravatar options. Some are really funny and some are useful if you use services like Twitter.
- Unicornify – This plugin will change all gravatars into pictures of unicorns. Popular with all 12 year old girls ;-)
- Twitter Avatar Reloaded – This adds a twitter field and will replace the gravatar with the user’s twitter avatar.
- Ravatars – This plugin will generate a random avatar. It comes with a set of avatars that can be used or you can upload your own. I like the idea of using my own avatars.
- Favicon Images for Comments – This plugin will generate an avatar from the favicon on the commentator’s website and uses the website url included in the comment fields.
- Custom Avatars For Comments – Visitors will be able to select from a set of avatars that you have uploaded to your website to use when they leave a comment.
- WP-SnapAvatar A screenshot of the user’s website is added as their avatar based on the url entered into the comments form.
- User Photo – A registered user can upload a photo, which is then used as their default avatar.
Unicornify makes me laugh and I’m tempted to try it – it seems like it might have started as an April Fool’s Day prank. Do you know of any other fun gravatar plugins?