Happy end of March and beginning of Spring. It’s definitely getting warmer but since my heat is already off sometimes I am at my desk hovered over the space heater (with the two kitties right next to it as well). The daffodils and cherry blossoms are blooming and it’s starting to look lovely here in Philly. Of course, everyone is sneezing but that will pass.
This week I have going google free, above the fold, freelancing, WordPress, some skateboarders in Uganda, and more.
- How I Became (Mostly) Google-free in About a Day – Thoughts on how many google services we use and alternatives (such as Zoho instead of google docs). I thought this was interesting because I frequently think that I am overly reliant on the services of a single company.
- Debunking the Myth of the Page Fold in Web Design – This article is from last Fall but I got was getting annoyed about the phrase “above the fold” and decided to search for articles that supported my point of view. Short story – people know how to scroll and will look below the fold for extra content if they are interested or intrigued by the site.
- 15 Reasons Why I Utterly Refuse to Give Up on Freelancing – This article states the most of the reasons that I really enjoy freelancing.
- How to Be a Morning Person – I already am a morning person but I know for some people it’s really difficult. Maybe this article will help.
- Four Ways To Add Photos To A WordPress Post – John Haydon has a great tutorial about adding images to WordPress posts.
- Weird Photoshop Mistakes – Some of these images are funny and some are really creepy.
- Re-Thinking Workaholism – Being a workaholic seems to be worn as a badge of honor these days. I suppose it’s ok if you really love what you do for work but there needs to be balance and working non-stop isn’t a healthy way to live. When I was younger, being a workaholic wasn’t really considered something to be proud of.
- 10 Steps To Create The Ultimate Facebook Fan Page for Your Brand – Some great advice about getting started with a Facebook fan page.
- Some skaters in Uganda build their own skate park.