WordPress 2.7 was released last night for WordPress.com users. It will be released for those of us using the self-hosted version of WordPress on December 10th.
If you are planning on upgrading when WordPress 2.7 is released, here is some information about compatibility, preparing your theme, and a list of new features.
- 10 Things You Need to Know About WordPress 2.7 – This is a great guide to the new features, layout and look of 2.7
- The plugin compatibility guide – WordPress.org has a list of plugins that have been tested with WordPress 2.7 and are known to be compatible. If there is a plugin that you can’t live without and it isn’t on this lists, then you might want to wait to upgrade. Alternatively, you could search for a non-plugin related solution to the functionality that you require.
- Core Update Host Functionality – WordPress 2.7 will have a built-in Auto Upgrade Feature. This is a list of webhosts that the auto update function works with. If your host isn’t on the list, it probably hasn’t been tested and if the feature doesn’t work with your host, you can still upgrade manually. Please note that this will not matter for your upgrade to WordPress 2.7, but rather for all subsequent upgrades.
- Theme Compatibility – WordPress has a list of themes that are compatible with WordPress 2.7. This is a little misleading – your theme will still work with 2.7 it is just that 2.7 will have features that can’t be taken advantage of unless changes are made to your theme, such as threaded comments. This leads us to the next point.
- Upgrading Your Theme – There are a number of tutorials that explain how to edit your theme so it can take advantage of the new features in 2.7. WPHacks explains the sticky post and page function and OttoDestruct explains how to make the comments template compatible with WordPress 2.7 As I mentioned, your theme will still work as is. Upgrading your theme is only needed in order to take advantage of some of the new features in 2.7
- WordPress 2.6 Plugins – If you are planning on staying with version 2.6.5, this is a list of plugins that you can use to give your blog 2.7 functionality.
Hmm … guess I know what I will be spending part of my weekend doing.
photo credit: David Reece