Please note: This information will soon be outdated by changes that Facebook will be making to boxes and the boxes tab. Please read my new article Upcoming Facebook Changes to Boxes and the Box Tab that Will Impact Your Custom Fan Pages.
My friend Rick Morgan and apparently many searchers finding this site have asked how you can link to your Facebook Fan page from your Facebook profile. And until Rick asked me about this it didn’t even occur to me to create such a link but, of course, it’s an excellent idea.
Well, the short answer is that Facebook DOES NOT provide a direct way of doing this. This does not mean, however, that it can’t be done. It will require the use of a particular application and a teeny bit of html.
How to Do It
- Install the Custom Profile Box application.
- Add your code. On mine I added my 125×125 site ad linked to my fan page, some text, and linked icons for other social networking sites where you can fine me.
- Unfortunately, the name of the box can not be changed and is called ‘Custom Profile Box’. The Custom Profile Box also can’t go any higher on the left sidebar than right under your list of friends.
- Ok, and I kind of lied. The Custom Profile Box has a visual or WYSIWYG editor so you don’t technically need to know html to use the application. I do, however, believe you will have better results if you use some html so you can check and edit your code.
- So, I don’t know if anyone actually notices my Custom Profile Box but it has given me a way to link to my (Anti) Social Development fan page from my personal profile. Something that Facebook doesn’t give us a direct way of doing.
- And the very attentive and very curious might wonder why not just use the fbml application that I mentioned in my earlier article about creating a custom fan page. Well, the fbml application is only for pages. It can’t be used on profiles.
photo credit: zak_greant