In one of my first articles, Green Twitter – Environmental Resources, I mentioned that I was “addicted to” and “dependent” on Twitter. In the comments, Ari Herzog asked why I was addicted to twitter. That question made me think a little and I realized that addicted wasn’t the right word. Obviously, I can live without Twitter and admittedly I would be depressed if it no longer existed, but I would move on. (I am addicted to the Internet, however, and don’t know how I would get over the loss of it).
So, I’ve been putting a lot of thought into what it is about Twitter that I like so much. Self-promotion? No. Networking? No. Reporting what I’m eating? No. Hearing what cool people the so called A-Listers are hanging out with? Definitely NO.
What makes me keep returning to Twitter day after day are the creative, funny, unique, and supportive people that I have encountered. People that I would have never had the opportunity to meet in real life. People from all over the world and people from a couple of miles away. People who share common interests with and people who don’t, but that I still connect with. I want to log in and say hi. I want to know what they are up to. I want to laugh at the funny things they say and make them laugh. I want to read and comment on their blog posts.
I guess that I’m not addicted to Twitter after all but am addicted to the people that I’ve developed an online relationship with.
So, here I’m going to list 10 of my Twitter friends. People that you might want to follow. They aren’t self-proclaimed gurus or A-Listers but they are fun, interesting, and bright. I’m listing their Twitter usernames and a recent blog post.
- @maratriangle – A park warden in the Masia Mara reserve in Kenya. I have not had a conversation with him but am fascinated by the work he is doing. Recent Post: Can Elephant Poo Save the Mara? (I love elephants).
- @scamtypes is an online scam hunter. He’s very funny person who keeps me on my toes. Unfortunately, he’s a Liverpool fan. Recent Post: Breaking News : Georgia Bigfoot Body Confirmed As A Rubber Costume Hoax
- @ChrissMari also resides in Philly. She has a potty mouth, makes me laugh, takes funny photos and is a Manchester City fan. Recent Post: Walking Behind Some Sort of Gang on My Way to Lunch
- @GreenSmith – an all around positive guy working to find sustainable solutions as well as find the best comment tracker. :-) Recent Post: Throwplace: A Sort of Freecycle on Steroids
- @trisha_ifw – is a sweetheart who also loves Doctor Who and the Powerpuff Girls. She does not enjoy bathing suit shopping. Recent Post: Review: High Heels to Hormones: A Woman’s Guide to Spine Care
- @perishable – writes awesome advanced WordPress tips and code solutions. He has answered my questions and is always helpful. Recent Post: Redirect All Requests for a Nonexistent File to the Actual File
- @andymurd gave me confidence about using Disqus on Tumblr, is friendly, and has a great sense of humor. He is, perhaps, the only man in England who doesn’t follow football. Recent Post: Freaks Do Not Get Followed
- @greenmom is blogging about raising an environmentally responsible family. She has great giveaways, asks me wordpress questions and is a top commenter. Recent Post: Moms Take a Stand Against BPA – Today
- @vered writes funny and poignant articles on her site, MomGrind. Vered knows how to build a community; she responds to every comment and makes a point to visit the sites of those who comment. I don’t know where she finds the time. Recent Post: Top 10 Fashion Mistakes to Avoid at All Costs
- @olu_guy is into football and video games. I think he’s my new best friend. ;-) Though he’s a little miffed about my switch from Arsenal to Aston Villa. Recent Post: Just go ahead and check out his social network for gamers, Vigster.
photo credit: bobdegraaf