**Note – I have found a fix for some users. Check back next week and all will be revealed.
It seems that for some users scheduling posts in WordPress does not work in versions 2.5 and higher. This problem does not occur for all users and seems to be related to the web host they are using and possible security settings. Ultimately, however, the problem is in WordPress as scheduled posts worked in earlier versions.
It is my understanding the the problem may be with the cron.php file that is in the wp-includes folder. Cron jobs deal with scheduled events and for some reason this file is not communicating properly with the server.
There is not simple fix or solution to this problem. Some fixes work for some users but not for others. I know of two people using the same webhost who currently can not schedule a post. Well, they can schedule it and set the time, but when the time to publish arrives it doesn’t publish and the time starts counting backward. For example, a post is scheduled for 4:40PM. That time passes and 10 minutes later it will say scheduled to post on 10 mins. Forty minutes later it says scheduled to post in 40 minutes. The scheduled post, however, is never published until it is done manually.
Inconsistent problems are frustrating. I am running the same version of WordPress but have different webhost and I can schedule posts. Someone else running the exact same version of WordPress with a different webhost can not.
Various fixes have been suggested and I am current testing one that proposes replacing a section of code in the cron.php file but I will be surprised if it works.
If none of the fixes work, what can be done?
- Talk to your webhost about the problem. You can try but I bet they will say it is a problem with WordPress
- Wait for WordPress 2.7, which is tentatively scheduled to be released in November. This means three months of posting manually, which is not a good solution if you work ahead and schedule your posts.
- Downgrade your installation to WordPress 2.3. Upgrading can be hard enough. Who really wants to downgrade?
If anyone is experiencing this problem, please leave the name of your webhost and the version of WordPress you are running in the comments. Better yet, if you have discovered a solution, please please please tell me about it.
Resources: – Gobbledygook to most of us
- Schedule Posts Not Working in 2.5 (62 posts)
- Future dated posts not publishing
- WordPress scheduled post not working: here’s a reason
photo credit: anitakhart