WordPress 2.9 is due to be released on … soon-ish (probably in December) and I thought it would be fun to review some of the upcoming new features.
My biggest hope with this release is that there will not be as many security updates are there were with 2.8. I always say wait until the .1 release to upgrade but I did not foresee .5 with the 2.8 series. Yikes!
- Trash Status – when posts, pages and comments are deleted they will go to the Trash rather than being permanently deleted. This is very similar to the way the Recycle Bin works on Windows. I can see this being useful and also contributing to the size of the database.
- Image Editing for Media Library – Simple edits will be possible on images in the Media Library. You will be about to rotate, resize and crop images.
- Media Embeds – This one sounds good and I’m planning on writing an entire post about it. Basically WordPress will be able to automatically embed media from a variety of sources such as flickr and youtube. For example, if I have a url for a flickr photo and I paste the url into my post, WordPress will be smart enough to find the photo and embed it into your post. The photo will show up rather than the url. I think this is really going to help people use media in the blog posts.
- Better feedback on publishing of future posts and pages – I’m not sure what this feedback will be. I thought this was improved in 2.8 by providing the date the post was going to be published rather than saying in 5 days or whatever. I guess more feedback is good, right?
- Allow blogs to be available in search engines checked by default – I wonder if this was a problem for people. When WordPress is installed, this needs to be checked so that the blog will show up in search engines. I actually prefer making the selection because I am frequently working on sites that are in progress and don’t want them to show up in search engines until the work is done.
- Show correct max upload filesize error message – Correct error messages can only be considered a good thing ;-)
- Allow a plugin to do a complete takeover of Post by Email – I don’t think the Post by Email feature has ever worked very well. I’ve never used it. But it looks like a plugin will do this now rather than it being a part of WordPress.
- Add means of automatically repairing tables – I’m a little cautious about whether this is good or not. I would rather repair my own database tables and would be hesitant of having WordPress do it for me. I’ll need to see what it actually does.
Makes Me Laugh
- Eliminate the redundant and confusing comment threading depth of 1 – Well, yes, a threading depth of 1 makes no sense because there wouldn’t be any depth.
- Don’t offer to make a category its own parent – Umm … yeah, that really doesn’t make any sense.
- Fix race condition with autosave when clicking Publish immediately after entering post title – I have no idea what this means as I don’t know what a race condition is. This is far from the only thing on the upcoming features list, however, that I don’t understand.
If you want to read more about the upcoming features in WordPress 2.9 they are available in the codex. We can count and see how many make us say “what is that supposed to mean?”
photo credit: Clearly Ambiguous
Did you enjoy this article? I can assist you with your WordPress or Facebook project. Contact me and I will provide you with an estimate. You can also connect with me on Facebook or follow me on Twitter. If you are looking for Hosting, WordPress Theme, Newsletter or other recommendations, please view my detailed list.
37 Responses to “WordPress 2.9 Upcoming Features”
- WordPress Gallery Shortcode: Add a Simple Image Gallery to a Post or Page | (Anti) Social Development
- Video Highlights of the Upcoming Features in WordPress 2.9 | (Anti) Social Development