Well, the calendar says spring is finally here but the weather seems to feel differently about that.
This week I have information about web design freebies, freelancing, twitter, changes in websites over time, 12 for 12K Tina Turner, and M.C. Hammer.
- 50+ Freebies Every Web Designer/Developer should have – Even if you aren’t a Web whatever, this list has a lot of great free stuff; fonts, Photoshop brushes, and social icons. I don’t even especially like using photoshop and still downloaded some of the brushes. Took me forever to figure out how to load them.
- 28 Must Read Articles For Growing Your Freelance Design Business – Any list that contains more than 10 things I must do starts to overwhelm me. But this is a great resource for all freelancers, not just ones who are designers.
- Top 237 Twitter Users Who Will Follow You Back – This article made the twitter rounds this week. And I guarantee that it’s true. I tested following some randomly and they all followed me back. I’m sure it’s because they thought my tweets were awesome. I did not, however, follow Karl Rove and am extrememly disturbed that he is on this list.
- A Decade Of Web Design In Pictures – 1997 to 2009 – This site shows the design changes in well known websites, such as yahoo, the whitehouse, digg and BBC, over time. It’s interesting to see how much things have changed and how much cleaner the design looks now.
- 12 for 12K – This is a charity set-up by Danny Brown that is trying to raise 12,000 a month for one charity for 12 months. Each month they attempt to raise money for a different charity. This week they had a Tweet-A-Thon and raised almost 13,000 dollars – almost all of it through Twitter. I don’t have a lot right now but I try to give a little extra from my paypal balance. It is definitely worth following @dannybrown on twitter.
- You Can’t Touch This – The always funny Tracy O’Connor discovers that new fashions in catalogs arriving at her home are very reminiscent of M.C. Hammer. And as much as I like to make fun of these clothes I also have to admit that I think Hammer was an amazing entertainer and that I am old enough to remember the performance in the video below.
And speaking of entertainers, this is one of my favorite videos on YouTube. Tina Turner invites her biggest fan, who’s been to 17 shows on that tour, up on stage. Donovan knows all the steps and is so fun to watch. And Tina Turner is amazing – she has an amazing level of energy and in this clip she is already over 60 years old! It is long but at least watch part of to see Donavan’s moves. And I bet if you start watching, that you will watch the whole thing.