WordPress shortcodes are small pieces of code used in the functions file that allow you to quickly add frequently used content to a post or page.
The shortcode API has been part of WordPress since version 2.5.
Here I’ve rounded up 8 interesting and very useful WordPress shortcodes. A couple of them are ones that I’ve written about before.
- WordPress Gallery Shortcode – How to use the built-in WordPress Gallery Shortcode to display a simple image gallery.
- Display a commonly used link – Using a WordPress shortcode you can easily display a frequently used URL.
- How to add a RSS Feed to a Post or Page Using a WordPress Shortcode – Code used to create a shortcode to display a RSS feed on a post or page.
- Using Shortcodes To Hide Content From The Public – This shows you to add a shortcode that will only display content to logged in members of your site.
- A simple paypal donation link – You only need to change the paypal email in the code and this shortcode will add a simple paypal donation link to a post of page.
- Display Related Posts – Many of us use a plugin to display related posts at the end of each article. This shortcode will allow you to add related posts without the use of a plugin.
- Google Maps Shortcode – This one is pretty cool – a shortcode that will insert a google map into a post or page.
- Send to Twitter – how to create a tweet or send to twitter link with a shortcode.
Do you any favorite WordPress shortcodes that you would add to this list?
photo credit: Atelier Vanessa Maurer
Did you enjoy this article? I can assist you with your WordPress or Facebook project. Contact me and I will provide you with an estimate. You can also connect with me on Facebook or follow me on Twitter. If you are looking for Hosting, WordPress Theme, Newsletter or other recommendations, please view my detailed list.