Yesterday I listed the 5 most popular articles that I’ve written this year based on pageviews from google analytics. Today I’m going to list my 5 favorite articles of the one’s I’ve written this year. I don’t think there is going to be any overlap (I haven’t actually selected them yet – it’s going to all be real time while I’m writing).
- In Memoriam – Obviously, I hated the fact that this article even needed to be written but it helped me get back into real life again. Until that point I was living in a fog of grief and numbed myself by watching the first three seasons of Battlestar Galactica, which I loved, in a little over a week. I realized after I wrote and published it though that it wasn’t a proper Memoriam. I talked about the illness and what I experienced over the holidays but that I really didn’t talk about her – about how she was a social worker for the mentally ill, how she worked with mentally retarded children when I was a kid, or how she learned sign language to help the deaf kid in our rural town have a better chance in school – that would have been a better remembrance of her.
- How Twitter Can Assist You With Your Job Search – Quite a bit of research went into this article and I thought it could help people looking for work and help prove that twitter isn’t a waste of time. I’ve said many times that I find a lot of my freelance work through twitter. Maybe highlighting it here will bring attention to it for people who missed it the first time.
- 8 WordPress Spring Cleaning Tips: Backups and More – This article seemed to motivate my readers to take care of upgrades, plugins, and database backups that were being neglected. It also had the side-effect of motivating me as well. Two weeks later I wrote about the spring cleaning I did on this site.
- I Loved My Grandmother – As I mentioned in this article my grandmother passed away 20 years ago and I still think about her almost every day. I loved her very much and I loved writing this article about her.
- Using Thumbnails for Excerpts With Query Posts to Make a Custom Sidebar Block in WordPress – This article has a clunky title and isn’t written very well (I’d like to redo it) but it’s one of my favorites because I’m still so excited about using the plugin in this way to create a dynamic sidebar box. And anytime Jeff from Perishable Press stops by to say good job I know I’ve done something right.
So, this list is very different than what google analytics reports as my most visited articles. It might just show that what I like differs from the masses but I’ve known for a long time that I’m not like most people. Most of these, however, have received quite a few comments.
How about you? Are your favorite articles the most popular ones on your site? Or are your favorites different than the ones getting the most visits?