Theme Test Drive is a WordPress plugin developed by Vladimir Prelovac that allows you to work on and test a theme when logged in as Admin but the visitors will view the current theme.
This can be really useful when you are testing code and making theme changes but don’t want visitors to see what you are working on (or any of your mistakes).
- Download and install the plugin like any other.
- Activate the plugin
- Go to Appearance > Theme Test Drive
- On the settings page you can install a theme, select the theme to work on, and set levels of access as to which users can view the theme. The default is Admin only. You can also disable and enable the plugin on this page.
- When logged in as Admin you will be able to view the changes that are being made to the theme but visitors will see your current theme. This is great for development and code edits.
- You will not, however, be able to view your current theme. If you want to refer to it when editing the new one, I recommend taking a couple of screenshots of it before you start working and use those for reference.
What do you think? Is this a useful plugin? So far, I really like it.
photo credit: Destinys Agent