Since the last Facebook update, I have been unable to locate a simple way to filter my news stream by pages or pages that I am fan of.
This is annoying because I follow a variety of topics on Facebook and filtering news in this way was a quick way way to get information.
Earlier, I had made lists, such as Activism, WordPress and Philly. Since I already have those lists, I can filter by those topics but there isn’t a way to filter by all pages.
The best way, that I have found, to manage this is to create a list that includes all of your pages or at least the ones you are most interested in.
Here’s what you do.
- Login to Facebook
- Go to the Home page
- On the left, click on Friends
- On the top right of the list of friends, click on the ‘Create a List’ button
- The pop up box will contain all of your friends and all of the pages that you are a fan of. For some reason, all of the fan pages have a question mark for the avatar and this has to be a Facebook glitch. After the list is created and you filter by it, the avatars will display properly.
- Name the list and start selecting the pages that you would like to include. If you want to view all of your fan pages in the filter, then include all of them.
- You can now select that list under friends to filter the news stream.
Even though lists are useful, this is tedious and is a really roundabout way to filter the news stream by fan pages. I’m not sure why this functionality is missing since the last update.
And if I’m missing something really obvious on a better way to do this, please please let me know.
photo credit: ajschu