I have written a tutorial on how to make a custom Facebook page with an iFrame application. Many of the questions in the comments relate to being unable to see the custom page when you go to view it on your Facebook page.
I have decide to list troubleshooting tips that are the most likely cause of the problem. One of these should correct the issue for you.
Things to Try
- Check the permissions on the directory that your iframe page is stored on, especially if it’s in a subdirectory.
- Try saving the iframe page as a .php page rather than an .html page. Sometimes this resolves the issue even if the page doesn’t contain any php. I have not found a reason why for this.
- Iframe code will not display – you are trying to pull an iframe into an iframe. You should, however, get an error for this one rather than just a blank screen.
- Make sure you can view the page outside of Facebook. If you can’t, there is most likely an error in your code.
- Try checking the page in a different web browser. That may help narrow down the cause of the issue.
- Do you have a SSL certificate for the location of the hosted page? You will probably receive an error rather than a blank screen but this is something to take care of.
- Are you using Facebook as a page rather than as your personal profile? A commenter and I found that you can not see your own custom iframe page, if you are using Facebook as a page. You can, however, see other custom pages. I’m not sure yet if this is a bug or by design so if anyone knows more about this, your feedback is definitely appreciated.
Do you have any additional tips? Do you have answers for the ones that I’ve discovered but that I don’t know why it happens and why the solution works?
photo credit: daveparker
Hi great post, and I’ve got to the stage where I can put a (primitive) design up on facebook but here’s the problem:
it’s truncating the width to 512px automatically — I see your page is 520 along with most brands, and 512 looks off…so I’m kinda stuck lol
Any ideas would be welcome, thanks!
Kim Woodbridge says
Hi Steve – When I have a problem with the width, I take the code out of the page and the re-add it piece by piece to see if I can find the code that is causing the problem. Also, are you using Social Server for SSL? In their settings you can set the width and height and maybe you have it set to 512.
Hi kim, i want to ask .. if my web use more than 500 pixels. just says 800×600 does it still show error?
i got this error…can u help me how to fix it? what must i do?
404 Not Found
The resource requested could not be found on this server!
Powered By LiteSpeed Web Server
LiteSpeed Technologies is not responsible for administration and contents of this web site!
Kim Woodbridge says
Hi Andy – No, if the page is too big the iframe will have scrollbars and you will have to scroll to see all of the content. If you are getting a 404 error, Facebook can’t locate the page – it could be the URL is incorrect or a permissions problem.